Friday, March 27, 2009

Next On The Agenda… Find A JOB [CORPS]

In high school, I was the Senior Class President. One of my responsibilities was to make an agenda for everyone to follow at the meetings. This was very important because when we did not have an agenda, we lost focus and became unproductive. I actually enjoyed making agendas. There is usually so much I want to cover, and when I write it down, I can expand on it. Plus, it gives others a chance to think about what they want to say when we reach that item and allows them to get involved. Participation is crucial when you are working with others and want to get the best out of everyone to benefit the group.

Alvin Ford, Director of Administrative Support at a Job Corps Center in New Orleans, Louisiana, oversees nine different area managers. To get the most out of his time, he splits it up between the various departments. He usually does a 15 minute walk through with each department and then checks emails. Typically, he will check his emails in the morning, at lunch, and before leaving the job. About one and a half to two hours a day are spent in various meetings such as head meetings, director meetings, outreach meetings, and facility meetings. One tip he advises is to keep meetings short; no longer than 30 to 45 minutes. After 45 minutes people start to lose attention, and they have other things to do as well. He also recommends you use an agenda and stick to it. By using an agenda, the goals of the meeting are laid out before you, you have something to follow, and it prevents you from infringing upon other peoples valuable time.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, agendas are key. I've found it's even better if you send the agendas out via email before meetings so people can be prepared before arriving. One time I came to a meeting and was suprised to be on the agenda to talk about something I wasn't prepared for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some very good meeting structure advice that everyone can use for group work in BA 324 and in the future. You are all going to have a ton of group projects in your BHP careers and effective meeting organization will have a positive effect on your final products. Everyone pay attention to this!

    -MC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have personally experienced meetings lasting as long as 2 hours which became long and drawn out after the first hour. I have come to find out that people can generally cover their topic in 20 min which keeps it in a timely fashion because time is money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've decided to research my boss. The more I read about him, the more I respect and value him. The one mistake he might make is not sharing his philosophy and values as he changes positions. If we understood more, the support would come more naturally.

    ReplyDelete