Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cut To The CHASE

When I was younger, like most kids, I received an allowance. However, once I started middle school, my parents traded my weekly allowance for grade rewards. For every A on my report card I brought home, I received that number times the grade I was in (Ex. 5 A’s x 6th Grade = $30). As a 6th grader, I didn’t exactly manage my money well. I spent it on the ice cream man, at the mall, and at the movies. Occasionally, while being a careless young child, I would lose a few bucks here and there. Well, obviously, my 6th grade methods will not do well for me now. As I mature and come to the point in my life where I earn an income and have to support myself, I will need to manage my funds a lot better.

George Williams, Vice President Investments at Chase Bank, helps people manage their funds. More specifically, as a Financial Advisor he meets with bank customers and reviews their accounts to check (a) they are being charged a fair interest rate and (b) their money deposit is receiving a fair return. He also advises his clients on money transfers to various accounts. To help him balance his time while working with many customers, he uses a much regimented schedule. His days are set up in appointment blocks, and he always sets aside his first hour for calling clients and confirming their appointments. He also leaves one hour aside to schedule meetings for future dates, such as the next day, the next week, or the next month. While on the job he uses Lotus Notes to help with time management, and soon he will use Microsoft Outlook as the company migrates to that program. By properly managing and dedicating his time, he is able to prevent paperwork and appointment overflow. If he is strictly reactive, the work builds up, but when his time is managed and he is on a schedule, he is actually able to serve more customers. All in all, George had these final words, “While it’s fun being spontaneous, it doesn’t pay.” When you don’t plan your time wisely, you lose it. When you are impulsive with your money, it dwindles away.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the use of planner, I can not imagine a busy person doing so many different task daily without a calendar book. I love the idea of following the schedule but it's easier said than done, at this time I still have not squeeze in my appointment book the "me" time which is very important, I am planning to do that hopefully before the year is over :)

    ReplyDelete